Thursday, February 18, 2010

Digital Nation part 2

I found that the most interesting part about the second half of Digital Nation is how much people live there lives through characters on an online game such as Second Life or World of Warcraft. I never doubted that people spent hours of the day playing these games, but I never thought it got to the extent where people would actually die from not eating due to the result of playing these games.

It's hard to say whether I think these games are a bad thing. Sure, it is a much better experience to go outside and play with friends, but that's not always an option for people. I guess games such as Second Life and World of Warcraft allows us to be someone we are really not in real life. After watching the film, I decided to create my own avatar for Second Life. When I was creating it, I guess my initial reaction was to create the person I would have liked to be. Rest assure, I wasn't really indulged in the Second Life world, and really spent only a few minutes on it before quitting, but i could definitely see the appeal for someone who may be into that.

Movies like the recent Surrogate and Avatar really do show an accurate way in which what life may turn into in the future. It may come to the point where we only communicate with people through machines. It's a future which is not necessarily something that people want to embrace, but it is looking more and more likely as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment